Who would believe that you could go from not doing any exercise to being able to jog 5km in just nine weeks? It is, however, true. The NHS ‘Couch to 5k’ programme takes people through a simple training plan with just three short sessions a week to enable them to achieve this. The organisers of the 4th Waterbeach Running Festival are looking for people to take on this challenge.
Committee member, Jessica Kitt, says: “If you don’t do any exercise or haven’t for a while the thought of being able to complete 5km in just 9 weeks time seems totally daunting. Yet, if you get off your couch this week and follow this brilliant programme you will be ready to join in the 5km run at Waterbeach on Saturday 11th May.”
There is a range of distances at the Running Festival with a 2km Fun Run for children and adults, a 10km race as well as the 5km and even a 100m toddle for under fives, plus plenty of food and entertainment in the Festival Village. Every finisher is rewarded with a medal and the knowledge that they have helped raise money to support local preschool Waterbeach Toddler Playgroup.
Rebecca Britton from Urban&Civic said: “We’re delighted to be able to provide the former Barracks as the venue for the Running Festival again this year. This is a great event that brings together the community, attracts runners from all over the region and raises money for a worthwhile local charity.
“Developing and supporting healthy communities is a key priority for Urban&Civic and we hope this year’s event encourages people to take up the ‘Couch to 5k’ challenge and put on their running shoes to take part in this fun and family-friendly event.”
For more details and to enter the Running Festival visit www.waterbeachrunningfestival.co.uk
Notes to editors:
1. The event takes place at the disused Waterbeach Barracks on Saturday 11 th May 2019.
2. There are races to suit everyone: 100m toddle for under 5s, 2km fun run (4+) and 5k and 10k races. All finishers get a medal.
3. For more information and to enter online visit www.waterbeachrunningfestival.co.uk
4. Waterbeach Toddler Playgroup (WTP) is a charity run preschool in Waterbeach for children aged 2 ½ – 5.
5. All money raised goes to WTP to enable them to continue to provide excellent pre-school education and care for children in and around Waterbeach.
6. There will be many stalls in the Festival Village: WTP cake stall, ice cream van, coffee van, bouncy castle & slide, children’s colouring corner, giant jenga, Decathlon games, Slimming World, and Urban and Civic.
7. ‘Couch to 5k’ is an NHS initiative. Further information & resources can be found at https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07939 068 128.